Saturday 17 May 2014

Microwave Jenny - Shine Like New


I came across a plethora of great bands at The Great Escape this year, including this next bunch, who weren't even playing at the festival. On the Saturday of the festival, I went to Concorde 2 to see Sheppard, who were playing as part of the Australian Showcase being held in the venue (and as I said before, if the band get a good push on this side of the world, they are going to be massive). After their set, whilst queueing up for an Australian taco (which as I learned, is a sausage wrapped in a piece of bread), I got talking to two people about music and the festival. After numerous philosophical discussions took, place, including the revelation that sweet chilli sauce is indeed the new ketchup, I learned that the two of them were Microwave Jenny, a husband/wife duo who were playing a few gigs in England alongside Sheppard.

I promised to check out their music when I returned home, and it's safe to say that I was not disappointed. Take "Shine Like New" for example, one of the newest songs to be uploaded to their Soundcloud page. The song is a breezy slice of soulful pop gorgeousness, like something pulled straight from 2006, when Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse were riding the charts with a similar sound. The duo will be based in the UK for the next few months, so you should start to see their name crop up all over the place in the near future.

1 comment: