Thursday 24 May 2012

Little Comets - Jennifer


Dear Robert Coles,

Hey, how's it going? I hope that Newcastle is treating you well at this time of the year.

I was interested to hear that your band Little Comets have a new E.P coming out next month on Heist and Hit Records. I have been listening to "Jennifer" on near-repeat for the past few weeks, and I thought that it was would send you a message make sure you were alright.

Based on your impassioned pleas on your latest song, which effortlessly combines the afro-pop of Vampire Weekend with a touch of mainstream 80s pop, it would appear that this "Jennifer" woman has been causing you some heartache recently, given that she has taken to emblazoning the slogan "It's a shame that I don't love you better" on her jumper (which is a fashion no-no, in my humble opinion), and has left you in a situation where you have started to existentially scream out her name in a melodic way in your band's choruses.

Normally my advice would be to  forget about her and move on, as there are plenty more metaphorical fish in the sea. But then again, without this heartbreak you would never have written such a wonderful song, which has slowly crept up on me to become my favourite tune of the year. I'm looking forward to your band's E.P "Jennifer and Other Short Stories", which is out on June 11th, which I very much hope will help you to move on in this difficult period of your life.

I hope this letter finds you well. If you and the rest of the Little Comets are ever in Belfast and in need of a chat, give me a buzz. I know a great bar with imported cider that plays decent music, and hopefully make you forget all about this "Jennifer" women (although not the lyrics, obviously).

Yours sincerely,
Christopher McBride,
Captain of The Metaphorical Boat.

P.S "Worry" was a pretty awesome track too. More of the same, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment